-->

Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Blank Place Paints A Colorful Mind: My Journey to Penn's Creek

    
      “To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; 
                           to others, the most valuable part.” –Aldo Leopold

            Every year that I grow older, my perception of the world evolves through a “phoenix-like” metamorphosis. Ideas and images are created, built, and then torn down as my mind learns and grows.  Remote water that I fished in my youth slowly becomes more civilized and controlled as my innocence is washed away.  The slightly looming feeling of predictability and order influences your imagination and strips you of the sensation of the unknown. Sitting against the giant sycamore that sat firmly rooted along the water as a boy, left my mind wondering of this elder’s origin and if it had been waiting for me all this time. Sadly, I couldn’t understand the fact that the towering ivory colored giant wasn’t planted by legends or had a mysterious past. It most likely was planted by a man, who looked like myself, for more grounded reasons.
            Fortunately, places still do exist in this world that can open closed windows in one’s heart and mind. I stumbled upon this water at the right time. My eyes had grown hazy and my mind had begun to close off paths that winded and twisted. These paths weren’t simple. They complicated the maturing mind. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Most of the places I had been fly-fishing came close within populated places, and yet they contained beautifully colored fish, their beauty was stunted by my closed mind. I agreed to take the journey to this water that I had heard of from others. They talked of forests and mountains that even Tolkien couldn’t put into words. Massive boulders strewn along the hillsides that pointed down to the calming water. A peaceful water that the native people would have been mystified by because of its clear reflection. Yet the real reason for the almost sacred talk of this water was the amazing treasure that hides within its liquid “chest.” Once the angler takes the time to open its lock, a world of colors painted by God can be seen and held. Yellows, gold’s, greens, blues, and so on will meet the pursuer. Although seated beneath all the high praise, murmurings of murky water filled the discussion. A celestial environment stained by the reluctant attitude of the creatures that swim below. Men are drawn here to find their “fountain of youth” but are tortured by the rthymic pattern of the treasure teasing them feet away. The water grows colder around the ankles with each disrespected drift. Only those willing to sacrifice the hours of their own life will ever be able to obtain what they sought out for.
These words replayed in my head as I turned off of the blacktop to reach this hidden valley, the uniform road that I had grown used to, began to deteriorate and became less obvious. The smoothness of the black top was replaced by the chaotic disarray of a road that had seemed to escape the balance of society. The road rumbled up a steep mountain to its peak. As I arrived at the top, I rolled the window down. The bleak silence of the wind whispered into my ear, that it was time to begin anew. The twisted and complicated roads that my mind had blocked off began to reopen. The innocence of a young imagination was needed to carry on with my journey. I eased my metal steed slowly down the tumbling mountain and entered into a forest where time had waited, at least for me, to arrive to a place that I had heard call from afar. I arrived at a place with a strange name. A name that seems destined to be created by a youthful dream.  Usually, I would race to the water after a long drive, but this time I took my time and let my senses consume the environment.  For once I was living within the moment, existing within a realm I had been seeking. I gathered my gear and headed onward to the limestone glass. I stood on the soft sandy bank and day dreamed about the hour. The smell of spring filled the air and hope rushed through my veins. With my head held high, I stepped into the gin clear water. A new world full of life much smaller than I coexisted below me, I felt like the real life Gulliver and these little life forms were ready to help me, trick me, or teach me in my travels. I stood there and watched the “treasure chest” begin to shake, the “treasure” taunted me as it stepped into my world, like I just had done to it.  Overconfidently, I smirked, thinking that my day would be filled with an over flow of wealth. I tied on my dry fly and began to bend the air, I effortlessly launched the key to my success. Except, it was not the one that would unlock the priceless “chest”. The trout watched and scoffed as my fly drift by. Over and over this repeated, I slowly began to get desperate. I switched my fly and to no avail, the trout turned his nose and shook his fin. The chest shook more and more as colors slowly popped out of its lid. I tried “key” after “key” but each one lead to no avail. There were so many dry flies in the pocket of my waders; it looked like an old pillow full of fluffy feathers. I had become encompassed by the breathtaking scenery that renewed my mind but it became apparent that this bounty I had been seeking would not come by hast. Trout after trout, sipped the surface like I envision Churchill would drink his tea. The smugness of these fish filled my dreams. One by one, I was denied and held unworthy.

I stood in the stream with a sense of disbelief draped over my face, wondering if I should of listened to my experienced peers. A howl rang out from behind, high up from the heavens.  I quickly looked backed to see the darkness of the mountains beginning to slither down into the valley. The serenity was smashed like a pane of stained glass as bolts of lightning struck the boulders to my right. Rain and hail pelted my face as I gathered my defeated self and took for shelter. While sprinting to safety from this grisly storm, I turned and glanced towards the rippling water. A haunting thing happened, the “chest” shook once more. 
   


 It was then I decided I would return to this maleficent kingdom and figure out the secrets that lay in its depths. Deep within me, something awoke. I would return again and again to a place where this reality fears to climb up and over the nestled mountains. This would start my lifelong pilgrimage to a stream named Penns Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment